Waxwing Boxing Day

After a large dinner on Christmas day, we usually go for a walk but seen as though it was raining, it would have to wait until Boxing Day.  We awoke early (ish) and as soon as I saw the sun was up went bounding around trying to get ready quickly to be out to get some photography sorted. 

On arrival, I knew that there had been some Waxwings seen just up the path but someone directed us the other way...  It was a splendid sight to see the Waxwings round the corner at the top of a tree.  But would they come down from above the skyline to get some closer shots?

Waxwing drinking from one of the puddles

2 Waxwings drinking from one of the puddles close by

After about 45 minutes, my fingers were hurting due to the cold wind biting through the gloves.  Camera away and hands in pockets for a walk.  We went to where the Waxwings had been spotted the previous day and found four... then five... then nine... then ten!  After standing around a while, they began to relax a little and came down from the tree tops to feed off the Privet hedge berries.  

On Hawthorn but eating a Privet berry

I think this Waxwing was watching me after eating his berry

I was chuffed to bits when this chap picked some berries off the branches near me.


I hope that you have had a wonderful Christmas and have enjoyed this festive season.  I also hope that these photos are not blurred like the last Kingfisher post - fingers crossed! 

Seasons greetings!!
Matt

Comments

Popular Posts