Red Foxes on a summer evening

There is a family of foxes not far from the campus which I've been trying to get close to them and get some images but they can be rather unpredictable - sometimes coming out, sometimes remaining elusive without a show.  But when they do show, they're not really that bothered by people...  One of the images shows a fence in the background.  That is from an old tennis court - don't worry, they're not captive foxes.

Here are a few images:


This fox knew exactly where I was sitting and gave me a few stares but mostly she (think it was a vixen) just ignored me.  You can see the fence in the background.  She caught me a little off guard so there are many images before this where the image is underexposed and blurred as I panicked to get a shot off.












This is the one of the first images I made of the vixen.  I got the exposure wrong in camera so I exaggerated this and increased the exposure to get the silhouette to look just so.







As the evening wore on, the cubs made an appearance.  First they were chasing each other all over the place in the long grass before appearing in the shrubbery near me.  I had to manually focus to have a chance of getting focus.  The fox was a little timid and after three images had turned and ran back into the bushes (I decided to leave at this point so as not to disturb them).  This image may not be the sharpest image in the world but that wasn't the point of taking it.  Can you see the metal wire twisted to the left of the cub?  That is part of an old fence.  All around the place, there was litter and smashed glass...






This is the vixen again.  I used the same method of editing as I did on the first silhouette image.  She had a look around after "sussing me out" first before heading off to hunt...  Check out the Bee Orchid in the background as well - I love how a place that has loads of people around, contains some amazing wildlife.


In all, an encounter that was amazing.  Whether you like or dislike foxes, I hope that you like these images and, remember, don't drop litter!!  You never know where the next fox cub is at.

Matt

Comments

Popular Posts