Happy New Year!!! - Belatedly

Happy New Year.  I realised that it was September last year that I last posted here - that can't be right!  Where has all the time gone?

The camera had to have a break from photography in the last few months - apparently Autumn term of Year 3 is very demanding!

Anywho - I have taken a few photos here and there and just three to share with you...

First off:  Crow watching the incoming storm
This kind of image is like Marmite.  Hopefully, it is a nice flavour for you.  I have always liked this kind of image - quite simple really but the more I look at, the more I think about it.  For example, this Crow was flying along before taking a perch on top of this dead tree to watch the incoming storm clouds - ones that caused so much devastation over Christmas for many people.  Just one thing I think about.  Does it make you stop and ponder with the Crow?

The Crow image has had some post processing...  A crop for aiding composition, adjusting contrast with levels (though not to the clouds in order to hold onto some of the little detail retained there), curves adjustment for more contrast work, vibrance adjustment, a colour look up filter to enhance contrast, blue colour and also to provide a little warmth to the cloud.  To round off, the ubiquitous vignette featuring in all my images...

Christmas Day Short Eared Owl
So I got some time away from revision on Christmas Day and headed to an area where Short Eared Owls are around and sat watching a fellow photographer half a mile away getting stunning views of the Owl... Hmmm...  Wrong place at the right time!  As I was heading home as the rain started, a just caught a glimpse of the Owl flying in the other direction and managed an "in-habitat"
king of shot.  A pleasure to see wildlife, photographs are just a bonus.

The Owl image had some work in post production, a vignette selectively around the Owl to emphasise its position in the frame and the direction it is looking.  Then, levels adjustments and warming filter added to add warmth to the grasses, the hedge and Owl feathers.  That was about it.

Too much festive cheer

The last image is something different to what usually goes onto this blog.  This is Barney the Labrador.  Owned by my brother, he is the sweetest dog who is always looking for fun with a football, something to eat, a good bit of attention, a bear hug from my nephew or just a snooze.  Here, the latter on a festive Boxing Day afternoon when the Christmas cheer caught up with him...



I hope that you all have a wonderful 2016.

M

Comments

Popular Posts