Lake District

I love the Lake District.  From the great lakes to walk around to the huge hills to scramble up, there's few (if any) greater places in my opinion.  I spent a week there with my brother and my parents this summer and what a week it was...



I awoke early on the first morning and couldn't get back to sleep.  The light was looking good so off I went to try to get some images from the surrounding area to the cottage we were staying.  Here is the row of cottages we stayed at.  If you want to stay in them, click this link - the owners are wonderful people and the area is beautiful.










On the first evening, my brother and I wandered up the road near the cottage and photographed the setting sun.  It was stunning to watch and blinding to photograph...








After photographing the cottage in the morning, this Pied Wagtail was looking for food on the lawn outside the cottage.  Using a wall for cover, I popped up and took a few images.  Surprisingly, it wasn't spooked by this Jack in a Box imitation and allowed me to get a few images.






There was a lot of bird life around the cottage from the Pied Wagtails, Dippers, Buzzards, Kestrels, Redstarts as well as the garden birds such as this Chaffinch.






At the National Trust's Aira Force, I was left for a few hours to photograph the bird life around the falls without holding up the rest of my family.  During the ascent to the top of Aira Force, I came across a family of Redstart that were busy feeding on the insects around the water and trees.  This juvenile Redstart sat on a branch where I had a clear view through to him/her to give more of an environmental image.



One of the birds that I love to photograph and watch is the Dipper.  This was a major reason for going to Aira Force for me.  On the way up the side of Aira Force, I had fleeting glimpses of them but it wasn't until half way up, after I had been sitting by the river for a few minutes, that I realised this Dipper had been sitting watching me all the time.  Carefully, I got my camera up to my eye, not wanting to move too quickly for fear of spooking him.  Delicately, I moved myself around to frame some images before he started to hunt in the water...  These are magical birds.

This is the same Dipper as in the image above as he was beginning to look for food.  These guys are the only British songbirds that feed underwater.  Their feet are not webbed so when they are hunting they use their wings to propel themselves... like penguins...






My family always walk Derwent Water when staying in the Lake District and this trip was no different.  If you ever decide to walk around Derwent Water, there is a great Cafe at Nickel End Marina which serves the largest scones I've ever seen!  A good stopping off point if you do decide to walk around Derwent Water.






Buttermere is also a place that we enjoy visiting (again, there is a good cafe there...).  On the road to Buttermere, driving alongside Derwent Water, we had to stop to get some images of this road leading off into the distance.  A very pretty road.








On the least evening, my brother and I walked up to a wooden gate which was "just" over the brow of a hill.  Seemingly half a mile later, I found the gate I was after.  As I was packing up, I really liked the way the light was lighting the road and the sky.  Unpack again!




I hope that you like these images and ignore my waffle...

Matt

Comments

Popular Posts